500 years of inn history

The history of the inn-owning Föger family and the family coat of arms dates back to 1509. Back then it was at the Fern Pass – the important salt and ore road from the Tyrolean Alps to Augsburg and the Fugger dynasty and other German dynasties. The history of the modern-day STERN began in 1907:

1907

Franziska and Alois Foeger decided to leave their restaurant on the Fern Pass and try their luck somewhere else. They were fascinated by the Mieminger Plateau with its beautiful scenery and unique tranquility and decided to purchase the STERN inn with all its agricultural surroundings.

1915

Alois died after suffering an injury in the First World War. From this point on, Franziska managed the STERN herself with the help of her parents and loyal employees. Franziskas’ children also helped her to run the STERN in later years.

1949

Adele and Hermann came together, tied the knot and dedicated their time to the well-being of their guests. Since then, Adele has treated our guests with her famous apple strudel which Franziska taught her to bake. As well as being a very welcoming host, Hermann was also a passionate farmer who devoted a lot of time and care to looking after the animals and fields.

1960

An extension was built with no less than 20 rooms, each with running water and a bathroom.

1977

After Hermann senior had a heart attack, Hermann junior and his wife Roswitha took over the family business. At that time a big modification took place and the gable of the main building was turned around – this gave the building the appearance which our guests see today.

1977 – 1988

Spending holidays in the mountains was in fashion and more and more people were becoming acquainted with the beautiful natural scenery of the Mieminger Plateau. Thanks to former tourism pioneers, the natural landscape of the region was not spoiled – we are still very thankful for that. At that time, Rudolf von Habsburg, one of the sons of the last Austrian imperial and royal emperor, also honoured us with a visit.

1989

The last big modification was made at the STERN. Another floor was added, a new wing at the north side was built and nearly all of the guest rooms were rebuilt. And so the hotel continues to provide the latest comfort standards and offers exquisite living comfort.

2007 and the future

The STERN has stayed true to itself – also in its next generation with René Foeger (since 2004): A hotel with a traditional inn history, offering high quality standards and a personal, family-like atmosphere. The idea of a Tyrolean inn has always been a place to get together and to HUANGARTEN (Tyrolean for having a chat). And this is how it should remain for the next 100 years.

Awarded!

1509: Tyrolean Inn

2008: Austria’s most innovative hiking product with ALPINE Sleepover at 2,000m

2010: Austrian Ecolabel for tourism accommodation services for sustainability

2012: “Trigos Tirol” (Award for businesses with responsibility) and the only climate neutral hotel in Austria

2013: Tourstika Tirol Finalist

2014: “Platinum” from Tripadvisor’s GreenLeaders Program and first quick charging E-car station in the Tyrol

Obsteig on the Mieming sun plateau

Obsteig is a small village on Mieming’s plateau with about 1,200 inhabitants. Situated at 1,000 meters above sea level, Obsteig is the highest municipality on Mieming’s plateau, embedded in ample meadows and surrounded by larch-tree woods. The name “Obsteig” means “above the gradient” and describes its location at the end of the extremely steep road from the village Moetz in the Inn Valley to the Klamm castle on the plateau. In the past this road was feared by all carters. In the Middle Ages the road was part of the North-South route between Bavaria and Italy and was used by travelling salesmen like the Fugger family. Also Johann Wolfgang von Goethe took this route to get from Germany to Italy.

Obsteig consists of fourteen small hamlets spread out over a big area: e.g. Arzkasten, Holzleiten, Wald or Gschwent, to name just some of them. We can highly recommend going for a walk in Obsteig and its hamlets, which are well-maintained by its residents. Admire the little chapels and take a rest at one of the lovely wells.

The area of Obsteig was already colonised at around 1,000 BC and was later Bavarii territory. For the Tyrolean emperors the area was important because of its mines and its position at a strategically important traffic route. Apart from that, the beautiful landscape was a highly appreciated hunting ground. The Klamm castle, situated on a rock outcrop over a deep gorge, is proof of the area’s historically important role. The castle was built at the beginning of the 13th century with the aim to watch over the frequent traffic, mainly the transport of salt and ore. Today the castle is privately owned and can not be visited. However, the view from outside and a hiking tour through the gorge to see the waterfall are absolutely worth it.

The landscape of Mieming’s sunny plateau

The Mieming plateau with a length of 17km and a width of 4km is situated to the west of the town of Telfs, above the Inn Valley. In the north, the Mieminger Chain mountain range protects the plateau; in the south one can enjoy the view over the foothills of the Stubai and Oetztal Alps. The local people enjoy the mild climate and an average of 2,000 hours of sun a year – that’s why it’s also called the “sunny plateau”. The landscape is one of the most beautiful in western Tyrol. Already in 1981 it was put under landscape protection to conserve the larch tree meadows. You can find out more when hiking on the wide-spread Alpine park hiking paths.

The Mieminger Chain mountain range

The Mieminger Chain mountain range is a mountain chain with a length of 20km and it is part of the Northern Limestone Alps in the Eastern Alps. It distinguishes itself with its impressive, wildly rugged rocks. The highest mountain peak is the so called Hochplattig at 2,768 m. Peaks that are easily accessible are Wannig, Handschuhspitze, Grünstein and Wankspitze, all situated in the west of the chain. However, the impressive peak Hohe Munde in the eastern part is also worth a hiking tour. The source of our drinking water can be found near the Lehnberghaus mountain cabin.

Larchwiesen (The larch meadows)

“Larchwiesen” are not open meadows surrounded by larch trees – the term refers to the meadow floor itself which has been made use of in two different ways during the last centuries: on the one hand, to provide larch wood, and on the other hand, to be mown and used as a meadow for animals. Due to its uneven surface and numerous rootstalks, machines can‘t be used and that’s why these fields have to be mown manually. Moreover, they need regular cleaning, careful cut back and sustainable reforestation. We recommend walking along the Larchsteig path near the STERN to experience this piece of nature for yourselves. The importance of the larch tree in Obsteig is also reflected at the STERN: starting with our terrace made of larch wood, to our furniture and the sauna, as well as our larch soap and schnapps.